History

Timeline

2016

2016

In April, Hal Smith is named as the fifth President & CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula.
2015

2015

In October, Lincoln Park Boys & Girls Club, located in a public housing complex, was demolished by the City of Hampton, and Autumn Lakes Boys & Girls Club was closed for consolidation purposes. Members from both Clubs were transported to nearby Clubs.
2012

2012

A second Thrift Store opened at the Rod Huskey Warehouse on Warwick Blvd. in Newport News in July and a third Thrift Store opened at 1961 East Pembroke Ave. in Hampton in December.
2011

2011

The Lincoln Park Boys & Girls Club opened to serve more youth in Hampton. The Boys & Girls Club Thrift Store- York County opened at 4827 George Washington Memorial Hwy.
2010

2010

The new 24,000 sq. ft. York Club was opened. Oyster Point & Brighton members were transferred to the new Crossroads Village Club and Workforce Development Center in Newport News.
2009

2009

The organization opened its 15th Club, the Tyler Avenue Unit located at 95 N Tyler Ave. in Newport News.
2008

2008

The York County Club moved from Charles Brown Park to Yorktown Middle School. The organization also opened the Marshall Courts Unit located at 3301 Marshall Ave. in Newport News
2007

2007

The organization opened its 13th Club located at Queens Lake Middle School.
2006

2006

We opened our 12th club, located in York County. Land adjacent to Yorktown Middle School was generously donated to our organization by Edwin Joseph for further expansion of the York County Unit.
2004

2004

Our organization merged with Boys & Girls Clubs of Hampton Roads and acquired three new clubs: Greater Hampton Roads, Citizens, and Lassiter Courts.
2002

2002

The organization opened the Brighton Unit in a third public housing community located at 810 Brighton Lane in Newport News.
2001

2001

In August our Oyster Point Unit opened in Newport News. In December our organization acquired the Roses Building in Gloucester to be used as the Gloucester Unit.
2000

2000

The organization opened two clubs: the Autumn Lakes Unit located at 362 DeLaura Drive in Newport News and our Mathews Unit located at 498 Church Street in Mathews County.
1999

1999

Boys & Girls Clubs opened its third unit in the Aqueduct public housing community, now located at 13244 Aqueduct Drive in Newport News.
1998

1998

The Peninsula Unit expanded its building by 8,640 square feet. This expansion was named in honor of 50 year board member, Herbert Morewitz.
1996

1996

The organization opened the Pinedale Manor Unit now located at 705 Adams Drive in Newport News.
1991

1991

The organization began serving girls and our name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula.
1984

1984

The organization embarked upon a $1.3 million capital campaign; and in 1986 opened a 21,000 square foot facility known as our Peninsula Unit located at 429 Thorncliff Drive in Newport News.
1958

1958

The Club changed its name to Boys Club of the Virginia Peninsula and opened a new facility at 5900 Jefferson Avenue in Newport News
1946

1946

Our organization started as Boys Club of Newport News on 28th Street. The Club was formed to give boys a positive outlet and to provide them with much needed guidance.

BGCVP is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and donations are tax-deductible as permitted by law. Our tax identification number is 54-0538202.

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE

11825 Rock Landing Drive

Chesapeake Bldg.
Newport News, VA 23606

Phone: 757-223-7204
​Fax: 757-223-7206
Email: info@bagclub.com

©2018 Boys and Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula | Website by Fresh Look Web Design